This is to inform the public about the Atlas Horn of Africa > France Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2024. Details about the Program are given below. Postdoctoral scholars from the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Somaliland) are eligible to apply for a two-month fellowship from the Foundation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (FMSH) and the French Center for Ethiopian Studies (CFEE) in France.
The purpose of this research stay is to provide scholars with the opportunity to carry out fieldwork, library and archive work, and research studies in France. This call is a component of the FMSH and its partners’ Atlas Program for short-term postdoctoral mobility.
Table of Contents
Financial Terms for Atlas Horn of Africa > France Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2024
- A monthly stipend of 1,700 euros will be given to laureates; payments are made at the start of each month of residence. The goal of this cash gift is to pay for expenses like travel and lodging.
Eligibility Criteria for Atlas Horn of Africa > France Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2024
- Nationality: Researchers having ties to higher education and research institutions, as well as public or private research institutes situated in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Somaliland, are eligible to apply for this program.
- Level of Education: Candidates must have graduated with a PhD in 2018 and submitted their thesis.
- Theme: Research in the social and human sciences is a requirement for applicants. French-language host organization.
Applicants must locate a French research institute to house them during their stay before submitting their application. A letter from the hosting institution stating that it is willing to host the candidate for the duration of the fellowship and outlining the work conditions offered must be submitted by applicants to the FMSH and the CFEE.
Researchers’ responsibilities for Atlas Horn of Africa > France Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2024
- Upon completion of their stay, laureates are required to submit a report detailing their work and the benefits it brought to their research project to the FMSH and CFEE within thirty days of leaving.
Selection standards and procedures
The following criteria will be used by a selection committee made up of FMSH, CFEE, and outside experts to evaluate and choose the applications:
- The standard of the methodological work and the scientific record.
- The applicability of mobility in the Horn of Africa—Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Somaliland—in light of the project that was created and the background of the researcher.
- The capacity to locate scientific connections on the spot.
- Preference will be given to researchers who have never benefited from the program.
Application Form for Atlas Horn of Africa > France Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2024
The application and scientific package (research project with annexes) must be submitted online by the applicant. The website will be available starting on January 15, 2024. The applications must be completed and posted to the online portal by March 18, 2024, at 17:00 (Paris time).
Both the scientific file and the application form need to be submitted in either English or French.
What’s in the scientific file
- The study undertaking: The study proposal is made of the following: a brief presentation ranging from 10,000 to 20,000 characters, including spaces and references.
- The research project’s methodology, state of the art, problem, and specific goal.
- A list of references.
- The comprehensive itinerary for the research stay, including the locations and organizations to be visited, contacts, and schedule of work.
- A curriculum vitae, no more than two pages.
- An inventory of works.
- A duplicate of the doctoral degree.
- A letter from the national research institution’s director.
- A letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France outlining the work conditions available and indicating the institution’s willingness to host the candidate during the fellowship period.
Application Deadline: March 18, 2024